Summer is quickly coming to an end (even though it will feel like summer for another month or so out here in sunny Southern California). What better way is there to celebrate the final days of summer than with a little party? But let's be honest here...what party is EVER little?!
For our end of summer event, we always like to incorporate some of our season favorites - barbecuing, the pool, fruits, cocktails and fresh blooms!
We all know hosting any type of party can be overwhelming, so we've put together a simple checklist that will surely help ease the stress!
- Guest list – this will make it easier to determine the rest of the list once you have a guest count
- Location – Have a pool? Perfect! Your place is the location!
- Theme – Creating a theme will help you decide on colors and decorations. We're thinking pineapple centerpieces filled with gorgeous florals!
- Invitations – We usually like the old school way of mailing our invitations because a physical invite can display the tone of the party so creatively. However, there is nothing wrong with emailing or texting a beautiful graphic. There are so many online stationery companies offering chic well-designed invitations. Plus, this option is usually more convenient and the quicker way to go especially if you’re hosting something last minute (which is us, most of the time!)
- Entertainment / Music – Our go-to choice is to create playlist and let the music play through our home speakers. If you have the budget for a DJ, you can’t go wrong there!
- Food / Snacks – Keep this simple. Since it’s summer, we love the idea of a BBQ. Chips and salsa are a MUST and platters of fruit -- yes, please!
- Drinks – We love having at least one signature cocktail. TIP: a general rule of thumb, plan on one alcoholic drink per hour per guest. Find our favorite cocktail recipe below!
- Stay relaxed – If something doesn’t go as planned before or during the party, don’t let it bring you down. Just 'roll with the punches'. Give yourself an hour before the party to freshen up and finish any last minute details. Welcome your guests with a smile (and a cocktail in hand, of course!)
If you know kids will be attending the party, have a kid’s table with some crayons and paper for coloring. You can even think of a couple fun pool activities.
Attending a party? Grab a bottle of wine or champagne and place it in one of our wine bags and you have the perfect gift for the host!
Try this refreshing Watermelon, Lime and Cucumber Cocktail! (via creative-culinary)
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4oz Prairie Cucumber Vodka
- 4 x 1-inch cubes of seedless watermelon
- 2 x Limes, diced
- 2oz Simple Syrup (Boil 1/4 cup water and sugar just until sugar dissolves. Add 1/4 cup ice to cool - refrigerate leftovers)
- Lime Rim (equal amounts salt and sugar combined with some fresh grated lime)
- 2 x Watermelon Slices
- 2 x Cucumber Slices
- 2 x Small Mint Springs
- Combine vodka, watermelon and lime in a cocktail shaker. Muddle all ingredients well. Add simple syrup, fill with ice, cover and shake until ice cold.
- Rim the glasses with a cut lime and dip in the lime rim mixture.
- Fill the glasses with ice and strain the ingredients from the shaker into the glasses.
- Garnish with a watermelon slice, a cucumber slice and a mint sprig.
No Cucumber Vodka? No problem.
Simply add a couple slices of cucumber to the watermelon and line and muddle them together. Use regular vodka of your choosing. Enjoy!
Photo Credit: Creative Culinary
Please feel free to share your favorite summer cocktail and any secrets to hosting a fun, ease stress party! We would love to hear!